Friday, May 11, 2012
Shells
I have mentioned before that going to the beach is therapy for me. This past Sunday, we went to the beach and the whole family got a nice long therapy session. The beach was doing some dredging. For those who aren't familiar with this process, it is where a large ship is off shore and sucks sand from the bottom of the ocean floor and it flows through a pipe to the shore. You can watch the sand fly from the pipe, from a distant is looks like water pouring out of a water hose.
The reason this done is to help build up the shore. With the never ending tide, and the summer storms that will be approaching, the shores are washed away. Leaving not much room for beach goers to sit and to enjoy the scenery. We are particular to a specific beach and will drive a little farther and pay the fee to get onto this state park/beach. The sand is white, there are no buildings around, one has room and space to sit and enjoy. Even when the parking lot is full, you do not fill crowded on the beach.
We have been out at the beach before when there is dredging but, we must have been out there at the right time because they were so many shells. Typically, this beach doesn't have many shells, which is another reason why we like coming here. They don't hurt the feet when walking on the shore or when the girls are boogie boarding. It doesn't feel great when you fall off the board and are dragged through a bed of shells. The girls have come home with many scrapped knees, hips, and backs. But this day we found a pot of gold!
I watched many people walking along the shore with hands fulls of shells. Some were pretty big, that is rare. A lot were partially intact, but still, people had hands full of shells. Shells are one of my husbands worse nightmares. With three girls, they gather alot. They can become easily attached to things quickly, and it can be hard for them to let go of things. My husband sees a shell and says,"Yep it a shell. Looks like every other shell Ive seen." He doesn't get excited about shells. My girls can see the beauty in each shell and can tell you what is different about the new one she just found. It never fails that we ALWAYS come home with shells, doesn't matter what beach, and from what state. A shell has to be brought home. I know some where someone would tell me, that it is good luck. I don't believe it that kind of stuff, and if I did I would be very disappointed by now.
After we got set up, my husbands first words were, "We aren't bringing home every shell you see!" I was very supportive of this, and really encouraged the girls by asking them, "Is this shell really different than any others that we have?" "Do you really need this shell." I let Laci make a small pile of her findings and planned to ask her when we left which one, and only one was her favorite?
She had a small pile of big broken pieces, she was thrilled when she found a piece of coral!
I had ventured down to the shore a few time and found a couple small round swirled shells. (I don't the name of the shells. I know shells have a scientific name, classification names (those are easy to pronounce) and then there is our version for naming it.) I also found a tiny unicorn shell. (You'll see one later, my oldest named it.) I would put them into my pocket so I wouldn't loose them, and because I didn't want to hear my husband say, " We aren't bringing every shell you find home." I had my argument ready, I rarely bring any shells home, so I was due. Well, after going for a walk with the girls, we walked back to the tent with both hands full of shells, at this point I don't know how well my argument would have stood up. I do have to say, that I was carrying shells for myself and the girls. I think I only had 2.
We put our findings down and encouraged Chuck to walk down to the tide pool with us. On the way back down I found 3/4 of a sand dollar that I almost stepped on. It was pretty much intact, until it snapped in my hands from the wind, this gives fragile a new definition. I taught my oldest how to scan the horizon ahead for things. I shared with her that my father taught me the same thing and that is why I am always spotting things along the highway. It took a bit, but she eventually found her shell. We stopped at some point at a bed of smaller shells and she and I really examined the bed to see what could be found.
This is where we found the real pot of gold. We found all of these neat little shells. All so different. Each time the water rushed upon the shore you could see something new. It was always changing with so many unique surprises. She found many of the unicorn shells, several olive shells( actual name), and others I have no names for. I think she and I could have spent hours in one spot gathering tiny shells.
Many times I have thought about how people are like shells. We all come in many shapes, colors, and sizes. Some of us are prettier than others, some of us are tall, short, round, and thin. Some of us are shinier than others and like to be in the spot light. Some of us are dull and are quite, some of us are plain, alot of us are fragile and some feel lost, overlooked, or forgotten.
(The little pointed ones are the unicorn shells.)
Many people were walking along that shore with the bigger shells, but, how many of them walked by and didn't stop to notice the smaller shells. As I told my oldest, alot of people are always looking for the BIG ITEM. It is easy to walk past someone and not notice them, or be the one who feels unnoticed. I reminded my daughter that there will times in life that she will feel that way, I know because I have felt that way. But, I also told her that I have to remind myself that I am not forgotten and I am seen!!
Have you ever stopped to look at how many shells are on a beach?? There are alot! Have you ever thought about how many people there are in the world?? Each person having a different character and trait. The thing is we as people are unique, we are all different, but we are all "fearfully and wonderfully made" by the same GOD (Psalms 139:14). There is a creator who made people and shells. Being that HE created everything, nothing is hidden or over looked. HE sees you, me and everyone else in the world.
HE sees every person the way my girls see a new shell. HE can see the beauty in each one of us!!
( notice the shells within the shells)
It is very hard to find a perfect shell, some piece of it is missing, broken, or snagged. We are not perfect, just like those shells we are broken and rough. We have tendencies to hold onto feelings and not let go. We cram thinsg in. There is only one who is perfect! Here is what is so amazingly awesome, HE wants us to to turn to HIM. HE wants to have a relationship with us. He will surprise and bless us every time. HE never changes like the tide of the ocean.
We are to go before HIM and lay our burdens down before him(Matthew 11:28). HE will give rest and strength to all of us if we ask. Through Christ we can do anything.(Phil.4:13)
There are many tools used when it comes to the dredging and rebuilding of the shore. I don't know how many nor the names but, we to have tools to help build us up. GOD gave us the biggest tool, The Bible. This is our blue print, here we can read scripture that tells us what GOD wants for us. Friends are a tool, they can pray for you, lift you up and encourage one another. Songs on the christian radio are a great reminder of what GOD has done.
I tell you this, if GOD wants to bless you as numerous as the stars in the sky and the sand on a seashore, and sends HIS only SON to die for you and me, then you are not forgotten and you are not over looked.(Gen. 22:17 & John 3:16)
We are different from one another just like the shells but, YOU are loved more than you know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment